Austin Roofing Types and Materials
A good roof over your head is one of the most basic of human necessities. It should come as no surprise, then, that there are a multitude of roofing materials to choose from to accomplish that task, each with their own unique advantages and disadvantages. The two that we’re going to compare today are asphalt shingles and metal roofing. Both are popular choices, and both have unique lists of pros and cons and are best for different situations.
- Can Be Easily Repaired- In the event of a large storm, some of your asphalt shingles may invariably become cracked or come loose. Not to worry, though, because asphalt shingles are easily replaced on a shingle by shingle basis. The great thing about them is that you can replace the damaged shingles without disturbing the rest of the undamaged ones, which leads to inexpensive maintenance.
- Come in Every Style- Asphalt shingles come in every color, size, and shape that you can imagine. There are even types that imitate the look of other types of roofing materials, which gives homeowners the opportunity for a high-end look at a fraction of the price. When you choose asphalt shingles, you’ll have no problem trying to find an option that matches your home’s style.
- Easy on the Budget- More often than not, asphalt shingles are one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest roofing material available. Costs will vary depending on the grade of the shingle, but it is a very cost effective choice. The low ongoing maintenance costs also contribute to asphalt shingles’ low impact on your bottom line.
- Lightweight- Some materials require costly modifications to be made to your home before installation just to support the weight of the roofing material, but not asphalt shingles. They are almost surprisingly light and very easy to work with. You won’t need to worry about installing any additional bracing or roof supports when you choose asphalt shingles.
- Easy Installation- Asphalt shingles are easy to install on any roof, regardless of size or shape. They can be installed in a matter of hours with a professional roofing crew, or even by a handy homeowner.
- Long Lasting- Asphalt shingles, depending on their grade, have an expected average lifespan of 15 to 30 years.
Asphalt shingles are the most popular choice for roofing material in America, and for good reason. They are practical, durable, lightweight, and light on the wallet, but they still come in a wide range of various colors, styles, and designs. What more could you ask for?
- Durability and Strength- In professional wind tests and when exposed to all types of weather, there are few roofing materials that perform as well as metal does. A typical standing seam metal roof can last 50 years or more with proper care and maintenance, which is more than double the expected lifespan of the average shingled roof.
- A Good Investment- Metal roofs not only offer a good investment while you live in your home, but they can produce a significant return on that initial investment once it comes time to sell the house. Buyers recognize the superior longevity and beauty of a metal roof and are prepared to pay more for one.
- Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind- With more traditional roofing materials, there are any number of things that can go wrong including cracking, loose shingles, water leakage, mold or algae growth, and many more. These worries are a thing of the past once you install a metal roof. It is immune to such things, which lets you spend more time living your life and less time worrying about the sorry state of your roof.
- Improved Fire Retardance- A metal roof can more efficiently stop the spread of a flame that breaks out either within your home or in someone else’s. This feature will no doubt increase your peace of mind and reduce your homeowner’s insurance premiums.
- Lowers Heating and Cooling Costs- The reflective surface of the metal roofing reflects a large amount of radiant sunlight away from your home, keeping it nice and cool during the hot summer, and allowing you to spend less money on air conditioning costs.
Metal roofs are becoming more and more popular due to their unique aesthetic, low maintenance requirements, and durability. It comes in several different colors to match your home’s decor. One drawback is that not just any roofing company can install or repair a metal roof- they have to be experienced in dealing with the unique challenges that metal roofing provides. A good way to find a reputable metal roofing company in your area is to find a home in your neighborhood with a gorgeous metal roof, and knock on the door to ask who installed it.